Sunday 15 November 2015

10 things

Normally I avoid clicking through on any post that leads off with 5 things you need to know, but the two below came from recommenders I trust.

5 things I think journalism students need to know about technology by Martin Bellam is a brief introduction into the basic tools for meeting today's online communication conventions: from cutting a gif to the influence of media law on social media. It scares me a bit - it makes me feel old - that I don't have mastery of any of the five, because I feel like communication is my wheelhouse. Maybe this Christmas break's task is to learn how to make gifs.

5 things the media does to manufacture outrage by Parker Molloy follows the construction of a moment of media outrage, from her throwaway tweet about a lipstick name at Sephora through to the backlash-to-the-backlash articles about our Age of Outrage. This too scares me a bit, because I see it playing out all day every day on my Twitter feed and I can't help lamenting this vast suck of emotional and intellectual energy. Maybe my New Year's resolution is 'No more micro-complaints'.

No comments: