Tuesday 31 December 2013

31 Days of Summer

Everyday for the month of January, I'm going to post a favourite track from 2013. On January 31 I'll culminate with a playlist of all the songs.

As these tracks were collected throughout the year using SoundCloud, there's an emphasis on various forms of pop (Scandi, dream and glitter noir) and R&B (new wave and electro). Hip hop I mostly listened to through EP downloads and on Spotify - Freddie Gibbs, Danny Brown, Killer Mike and Run the Jewels, the continuing goodness of Kendrick Lamar and Angel Haze, the eventual warming to Drake, and my breakout album of 2013, Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap mixtape.

To meet in the middle though, I'm going to kick off this 31 Days of Summer with my favourite remix of the year - Ryan Hemsworth's magical mash-up of A$AP Mob and Britney Spears.


If you feel like really digging into the year that was in purple prose and music clips, try this Storify thread, where throughout the year I collected tweeted snippets of linguistically-astounding music blog posts and the tracks they were referencing.

No comments: