Thursday 9 September 2010

Web muster

If I had my time over, I'd probably be a scientist instead of a ... well, whatever I am. Because science is cool (and Brian Cox is hot).

Two lovely pieces in the Guardian: Searle on Whiteread, and Jones on Raphael. In his piece, Searle nails the feeling I get when I look at a piece of art and feel like it just works:

It is now more 20 years since Whiteread made Ghost, her seminal plastercast of the interior space of a Victorian front room. When it was finally shown, the sculpture looked inevitable: so simple, so direct, so unfussy, never mind the complications of making, removing and assembling the sections of the cast.

And if you're ever going to read anything about historiography, it should be this piece by James Bridle. Actually, that's hardly a ringing endorsement, so: if you're going to click through to anything today, it should be this piece by James Bridle. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

skar said...

Hat tip. James Bridle's piece is excellent.